This buildig as primary school was built in 1923. In World War II here was situated garrison headquarters of soviet army. It was called “city in the city”, because behind the high fence was even their own shop, hospital, boiler house and caffe. Army was left this place in the end of 1980th. This building was the most splendid building in the town.
“Ielīcas” is a farmstead that was built somwhere between 18th and 19th century. The layout of the buildings is the yard system, typical of northern Vidzeme. This building is a state protected cultural heritage monument, which its revival has begun in 2006. Popular Latvian movie ”Pūt, vējiņi” was shot there.
Kārlis Ulmanis was the first Prime ministre of Latvia. On November 15th, 1918 Kārlis Ulmanis, leader of the Agrarian Union, initiative council meeting, where decides that after 3 days on November 18th, 1918 in Riga, there shall be a public act – Latvian national declaration of independence. Today You can take a Picture next to the oak, which was planted in the same square park by Kārlis Ulmanis.
The memorial stone in Cimzes cemetery was placed in 1887 at Cimze’s grave by his students and admirers. The Latvian, Estonian and German text says that “it is dedicated to the teacher of teachers” by a “thanksful Vidzeme”. For Cimze’s birth centenary a bas-relief portrait of Cimze was added to the memorial stone.
The memorial is dedicated to the soviet army Soldiers of the World War II. At the granite plaque is written down 414 names of the fallen soldiers.
The memorial stone was established in 1922. Sculptor Emils Melders-Millers’ monumental work is titled “Warrior of Ancient Latvia”. It is the first memorial honouring the memory of those who fell in the Latvian War of Independence.
This monument is as a chance to give back to people who in 1917 in Valka, while risking their lives, led by ‘ideals’ and in imposible situation, built the base for independent Latvia.