During the Second World War, there was a camp for prisoners of war in the territory of the current Priimets Industrial Estate where the former stables of the Estonian Army had been converted into prisons. The Stalag 351 Camp was founded in summer 1941 for captured soldiers fighting in the Red Army and Camp 187 for German prisoners of war was founded instead of it in 1944.
The Valka Cultural centre building was built in 1924. This is one of the best examples of the quasi – Neoclassical style in Latvian architecture. Currently there are local government amateurs at the Valka City Culture House, concerts and theatrical shows are displayed, and various exhibitions are displayed in the small room on the 2nd floor.
The building was constructed in 1902 in the Art Nouveau style. Originally, the red brick building with white mortar ornamentation was the site of the Valka county government, and later, in Soviet times, of the militia. Following the tradition, it is now a Latvian national police office. The building as a tourist site can only be viewed from the outside!
The administration building of Valka city council. This original and beautiful building has been built in 1909, by order of lawyer Afner. In Soviet time in this building were located war commissariat. Last rebuilding were made in 1995, that here may work Valka city council.
This building was the former dwelling-house of baron von Wrangel, built in 1845.The building was rebuilt several times and was the Valka district court and also was used as Latvian Bank Valkas department. The building as a tourist site can only be viewed from the outside!
The Art school was built in 1990. Reconstruction works were finished in 2012 and new Art school were opened for studies for children from Valka and Valga. Studies are offered in 3 languages – latvian, estonian and russian. In Art school are taking place exhibitions of pupil artistic works.
The building was constructed from 1929 to 1930 by the Project of the architect from Ministry of education. Around the school is beautiful garden with extensive grassland, apple-garden and central statute- fountain. In the other side of school building have stayed old remains of fortification. In the sports hall are taking place different sport competitions.